Posted by: Jady | 2008/09/08

Baby fears

I am now 28 weeks pregnant. This is my second child the first one died due to complications. The ambilical cord was wrapped around the neck and they did not get her out in time. Can this happen again? And from what age can a pre mature baby survive? Also everyone keeps saying that I should not lift my arms above my head as it will effect the baby, is this true???

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jady
this can unfortunately happen to any baby and sometimes it only happen at the birth, so one can't see it on sonar in time. preterm babies survive from as early as 24 weeks, but the possible complications is bigger the earlier they are born. The story about your arms is an old wives tale - no truth in that. If you baby do arrive preterm have a look on the little steps weblink on the top of the page and look for the book: Prematurity - Adjusting your Dream.