Posted by: worried | 2008/07/21

Baby Diet

My baby of 9 months has been terribly constipated since I put him on formula (Istill breastfeed at night and over weekends). I have now bought Flaxseed oil to put in his feed. Is this the correct route to go? I have had comments like the banana that I started him on is what caused the constipation - apparently it builds up. It doesn' t make sense to me as i do not believe that fruit can cause constipation.

Dear Worried
At this stage of your baby's life, he can eat a variety of foods that contain some dietary fibre which will help to combat his constipation. Cooked and pureed dried fruit or prune juice (1 tablespoon/day) should help. You can also give him porridges which contain some fibre. Bananas do not 'build up' but they are a fruit that is not rich in fibre. In general vegetables are richer in fibre than fruits, so make sure that he has a serving of cooked vegetables every day. If this condition, persists then I would recommend that you take him to a Paediatrician for a checkup just to make sure that there is no underlying physical cause for his constipation.