Question
Posted by: Lwa | 2008/06/06

Baby Diet

My son is bottle fed and he is eleven months on July 03 he will be turning one I just want to know what I can feed him I am looking for simple diet and my Question is when can I give him full cream milk and which one?

Dear Lwa
I have just written 2 articles on "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE" and "
WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY" (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for these 2 articles), which recommend that children younger than one year should still be bottle fed (if they are not being breastfed) and that cow's milk should only be introduced gradually. If you can afford it, continue to give your son formula for a few months and then try giving him small quantities of cow's milk. At the moment he only needs about 500 ml of milk a day because he is hopefully already eating a variety of other foods like meat, fish, eggs and legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils and soya) which will provide him with the protein, B vitamins and iron he needs to grow. You can use fresh or boiled full-cream cow's milk or any brand of full-cream milk powder for him when he has eventually switched over to cow's milk. Youngsters can drink full-cream cow's milk until the age of 2 after which you can use low-fat milk instead. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on diets for toddlers.