Question
Posted by: Mom | 2007/06/06

Baby and Shoes

I have heard that it is bad for a baby's foot development if they wear shoes too early. Is there any truth in this and if so, from what age is it safe?

Expert ImageArchive

IT is and it isnt, The dependant is WHAT SHOES YOU USE
remember that a babies foot is mainly cartilage and the bones are still forming so if you use poor shoes you can influence the end result. You need to use soft very flexible shoes that fit the shape of the foot and not force the foot to fit the shoe.
Allow your baby to walk at their own pace and dont try force the issue.
DO NOT USE WALKING RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The arch of the foot takes about 3 years to develop and usual walking age is +/- 13 months
If you need any more specific info, get an appointment with a podiatrist and ask all the questions you want, it will be a valuable time with a long term benifit.

Call The SA Podiatry assn 0861 100 249

2
Posted by: Siya | 2008/01/17

feet swell when it is hot and they feel tired. when it is cold they decrease and are a lot lighter

Reply to Siya
Posted by: Cindy | 2007/06/09

I let my baby wear Shoo Shoes. You can get them from baby city. They are made from suede and soft leather, so they are essentially like a slipper.

Reply to Cindy