Question
Posted by: Thando | 2008/02/04

baby after bulimia?

i suffered from anorexia about 3 yrs back but i'm fine now. height 1.7 mtrs and 60kgs weight which according to the doctor is healthy but i cant conceive.....are the two linked? every month when i get my period i cry myself to sleep coz i really want to be a mother more than anything. i have reached a point that i hate my job, myself and everything coz i'm denied the one thing that matters to me, a baby. i have a successful carrer, relationship but no baby. what is wrong with me?

Dear Thando
The relationship between eating disorders and infertility is not necessarily a hard and fast relationship. Whilst there is an association to some extent, this is by no means predictive. Body mass index and fat ratios have all been tested but do not always lead to ovulatory dysfunction. A rough guide would be the presence or absence of a regular menstrual cycle which indirectly would imply ovulatory dysfunction. However the fact that your cycle appears to be more regular would indirectly indicate some form of hormonal regularity although by no means confirmatory of ovulation. I would certainly recommend a full and thorough investigation of not only the anatomy (tubal patency ,endometriosis etc) but also of the sperm parameters as well. Furthermore the concoment use of anti-depressants may add to a fertility problem and should be best avoided.