Question
Posted by: muffin | 2007/03/05

baby

hi, my son turns one in 2 days. He drinks about 600ml infasoy daily, I will be switching him to full cream cow's milk this week. He eats fruit, cereal and veg throughout the day. he does not eat big amounts of food, though he is clearly doing well as he weighs about 11kg. I was wondering if I should strat decreasing the amount of milk he has now which may encourage him to eat more solids?
thanks

Dear Muffin
Congratulations on your son's first birthday! Your lad must be doing very well as he weighs 2 kg more than the average for 1-year-olds! Just take care that he does not gain too much weight too fast. Also keep in mind that small children have a very small stomach capacity and that they need to eat small quantities, but more often than adults. At this stage your son still needs about 600 ml of milk a day so I would not reduce his milk intake yet. If he was an allergic baby (is this the reason why he is on Infasoy?), then it may also not be a good idea to change from Infasoy to full cream cow's milk. He may need to use one of the follow-up milk formulas depending on why he used Infasoy in the first place. Phone Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 to discuss follow-up milk formulas. Also click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on his age-group to see what and how much he should be eating.