Question
Posted by: NEED HELP!!! | 2004/01/27

B12 & Iron defiency(fatigue,painful legs etc)

Could you please give me some info on vitamin B12 defiency and Iron defiency! I have been suffering with extreme fatigue,painful legs.feet and arms, I had a Hiatus Hernia op 18months ago and have cut out meat,dairy and wheat as they were still giving me problems after the op. I went for a check-up at the Gynae today who said that I was extremely pale and I told him that I have still been struggling with this fatigue etc.
I do eat a lot of fish,chicken,veggies and fruit and take Centrum,Cal&mag,B-complex.
Thanks!!

Dear Reader
Did the gynae send you for a blood test to determine if you have anaemia and also what type of anaemia this could be? If not, then Please ask the gynae or your gp to send you for blood tests because it is vital to know what kind of deficiency has to be treated, iron or vit B12. Depending on the type of anaemia you have, the dr will either prescribe an iron-folic acid supplement like FerFolic or a vit B12 supplement with or without so-called extrinsic factor - thus you will understand that the tests are important. Such supplements may have to be taken for many months until your depleted iron or B12 stores are replenished. Foods rich in iron and B12 are: liver, red meat, egg yolk, poultry, fish, milk and dairy products, and iron-enriched breakfast cereals and dried fruit (iron). If you are no longer suffering from the hiatus hernia symptoms, it may be a good idea to reintroduce red meat, milk and dairy products to your diet as they are excellent sources of iron and B12.
I trust that you will soon feel better.

2
Posted by: Bev | 2004/01/31

Please excuse the few missed spelling mistakes I made with my reply to you Doc
Thanks,
Bev

Reply to Bev
Posted by: BEV | 2004/01/31

Thanks so much for your help! My Gynae did send me for blood tests and will be seeing him on Wednesday morning. In the meantime I have been taking an iron supplement and giong daily for B12&B6 injections. I will start to try reat meat and dairy products, I have always been very active and have done six Argus cycle tours.All of a sudden 2yrs ago I started having Hernia problems and always been so tired and these painful legs and jionts. I have only started to cycle a few weeks ago slowly after not been on a bik for 18 months. Should I wait a bit as I am so exhausted after only diong 10km or so?
Thanks Again!

Reply to BEV