Question
Posted by: Mish | 2004/11/22

Avoiding dairy = weight loss?

My doctor advised that avoiding dairy would help me to shake my excess weight. Is this true?

Also, how fattening is alcohol? Is any of the spirits less fattening than the others?

Dear Mish
I don't agree with your dr because the latest research indicates that using fat-free dairy products such as milk, cottage cheese and yoghurt can actually help with weight loss. Researchers are at present trying to discover what it is that makes these foods promote weight loss. Rather cut out alcohol as every gram contain 29 kJ which is nearly as much as fat, which contains 37 kJ per gram. So avoid alcohol and fat and you will lose that weight.