Posted by: Pooky | 2008/08/06

Avoidance of eye contact

Could you give me reasons for somebody(an adult) avoiding eye contact. Not a recent thing, ongoing since early childhood. What could this be about?

Many possible reasons. In the short term, people often interpret this as being shifty, and suggesting that the person is not being honest, but they could be shy, or uneasy for many potential reasons. As it has been going on since childhood, it could well be cultural or based on family costom and behaviour he/she was taught.
I used to find when I worked in Canada that some doctors over-interpreted this when seeing American Indian patients, who are taught within their culture that it is rude to look someone else in the eye, and disrespectful of someone lofty like a doctor

Posted by: BB | 2008/08/06

I find that i sometimes do the same, and i know that it is just because i am a bit shy, it also depends on who i am in convesation with.

Reply to BB