Posted by: Lesley | 2008/07/09

AVM Surgery

Good Day,

I need to have open surgery to remove an AVM which is located in the right side of my brain. I have decided to have the surgery but am unable to find any South African information and statistics regarding the surgery.

Would it be possible to provide me with information regarding the above medical procedure (AVM Surgery) in South Africa?

Thank you,

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Lesley,

I am not aware of any South African statistical analysis on this type of surgery. If you are at all concerned though, perhaps for your peace of mind you should seek a second opinion before the procedure is carried out.

Posted by: Rodney | 2008/08/15

Is there a support group in South Africa for AVM sufferers.
I have just recently been diagnosed with an AVM in the left side of my brain and still need to seek a second / third opinion.
I to have been advised to have surgery and would like to speak to people with similar experiences.

Reply to Rodney
Posted by: Lesley | 2008/07/28

Good Day,

I went for a second opinion and have received 2 totally different medical opinions (treatment options).
I made an oppointment with another neurosurgeon (3rd opinion) but dont understand why the first neurosurgeon advised me to have the surgery but the second one felt that the risk of doing the surgery are to high.

Reply to Lesley