Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2007/12/06

average age for menarche

What is the average age for menarche in SA and the UK? I've just read an article that said that a study showed women who began menstruating relatively early had shorter life spans. I was surprised to see that the average age for menarche was given as 14. I started at 11, I thought that was average?

The average age would probably be 12-13. Thin girls start later than plumper ones. It is this which is likely to influence life expectancy.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/12/06

Apparently the avg age is decreasing over the decades. I think 14 is out-dated now, this might have been so in the 1900's. I stared when i was 12 and I have heard of some girls starting as early as 8! I think its has to do with our lifestyles these days.

Reply to Dee