Question
Posted by: -Me- | 2007/03/20

Auto Immune

I have been diagnosed with low grade MS and SLE about 7 years ago, this does not usually bother me and is treated on a as and when basis. For the last 6 - 8 weeks I am experiencing numbness and paid in my left hand from the wrist into the fingers. My GP has prescribed a course of cortisone that did not help, I was referred to a Orthopedic Surgeon who suspected carpol tunnel syndrome and did a nerve test, which showed no indication on carpol tunnel syndome, so he want to see me again before deciding whether to operate or not. All this is very frustrating as I have to endure this dumb hand and the paid and no one seems to have any urgency in this matter. Now I have complained my bit, but actually wouldl ike to know it this can be MS or SLE related although the Cortisone has not helped or what on earth can this be. I am despate. I am a single mother of a 7 year old and can not even tie her buttons. I battle to drive and changing gear is damn sore. Await your replies

Dear Me
I think you should get a second opinion from your neurologist as this can definitely be SLE or ME related. The steps would be to
Do a physical exam and see if this hand is weaker than the other
Do a nerve conduction test to see if the nerve is affected
If the nerve is fine, the problem can lie centrally - either in the neck or in the brain and you may need a Brainscan or neck MR scan.
ME usually is not sore - SLE can be sore if it is caused by a neuritis or nerve inflammation.