Question
Posted by: Carina | 2005/12/07

Autism

I have a nephew who is autistic. My second baby (4 1/2) months, does not smile or make any babbling sounds. He doesn't like being held (only by me) and does not follow objects with his eyes. He did have a full physical not so long ago and the doctor said we must wait a while still. He is healthy, picking up weight and and does respond correctly to outside stimuli (i.e gets frightened with loud noise etc) Could it be autism?? What can I do??

Autism isn't strongly inherited. If he's happy and content being held by others, but not by you, it could just bve that you are worrying about whether he is well or affected, and he sense your apprehension, worry and tension, and doesn't feel happy with that. What you are descrribing probably isn't autism. There's nopthing special to be done abou such conditions at this age, anyway, and he will probably grow out of these signs soon, especially if you get a bit more relaxed and confident. If he is still worrying you by 12 months, maybe see a child psychiatrist or paediatrician for assessment, to set your mind at rest