Question
Posted by: Boerboel | 2011/02/08

attacking spaniel

We have a boerboel 2yrs old and she is my baby. She has attack our Female -|- er Spaniel twice in the past 4 months. Rushed her to the vet again this morning. Big hole in her neck. Vet suggested we put the boerboel down. How do I go ahead putting her down? Emotionally I just can''t but for the sake of my other dogs I have to before she kills one of them.

Unfortunately this situation occurs commonly . It is a difficult thing to resolve. What do they fight over ? Has she been spayed ? If you have small children putting her down must be considered.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/10

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/08

Inter-female aggression is at best very difficult and at worst impossible to resolve. The boerboel needs to be rehomed to somewhere without other pets - but please be honest about your reasons, because otherwise you''d just be passing the problem along.

I''d also ask the vet why he would recommend euthanasia - does he have reason to believe there is something wrong with the dog? Normally it''s a behavioural issue, not a medical one, unless the vet has spotted something you haven''t.

Reply to Chill