Question
Posted by: Lara | 2008/06/04

Att: Phil re Post 1367

Phil,

You could not have said it better. You nailed it on the head!!!!!!!!!!

Someone had a comment about Afrikaners. It's the Afrikaans kids that are so well behaved. English kids are usually the hoity toity type and all that and pretty much bastards.

Brilliant response Maria ! I don't think any group has a monopoly of being well-behaved or monstrous. As I said in response to another question, its no service to kids or indeed any people to protect them excessively from the natural consequences of bad behaviour and bad choices. When you don't hold people responsible for their actions, don't be surprised when they turn out irresponsible

5
Posted by: Lara | 2008/06/04

I said exactly the same thing to my husband yesterday.

'Come to South Africa, no Passports needed. Housing, electricity, and schooling provided.'

I mean really!!!!!!

Phil, I really wish more people would reason the way you do!! You obviously have very well brought up children who must be a pleasure to be around!! Good for you.

Reply to Lara
Posted by: Phil | 2008/06/04

Nope

Consequence of not screening most cops, now we have a majority corrupt criminal police force.

Not protecting our borders, and having corrupt officials at home affairs. Now we have these illegals being attacked.

Stupid goverment officials saying that these ilegals in the camps will be asisted with whatever they need. what a nice invitation to all ilegals to come join the party and come to this country.

All of a sudden ilegals get to make demands, and our cops have to protect them!

So some might ask what this has to do with giving your kid a hiding - EVERYTHING. Kids brought up with dissipline and respect are what makes most of the world fucntion. And if you can grasp the bigger picture of everything I just said, then you are one of those people that can actually make a diffirence.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Lara | 2008/06/04

EXACTLY, Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only the entire country and ALL it's citizens would also practice the action - consequence rule, what a pleasure it would be to live here. Kids and adults would then think twice before doing something, because they know for a fact they WILL have to face the consequences of THEIR OWN choices as you have also mentioned. People just don't seem to get that, do they??

Reply to Lara
Posted by: Phil | 2008/06/04

Thanks Lara. I don't know who the idiot was that made Afrikaans comment, propably some excuse for a grown up.

But words are meaningless, proof is in the pudding.
anywqays any good parent will know the diffirence between giving a hiding and abusing a child. Something for people to consider. For any action there is a consequence.
Steal = jail.
Don't study = fail
Drive to fast = fines
Naugty = punishement - An I always tell my kids that they make their own choices, not me. If they mess up, their is consequence.

Makes sense doesn't it. Guess what would happen if people just spoke to you everytime you messed up?

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Maria | 2008/06/04

Guys, what is the point of generalising about this? Yes, historically English and Afrikaans parents did perhaps in general have different disciplining styles. But we are a bilingual household and have friends and family from both language groups, and there is honestly not that big a difference now. One should raise your child to have respect for himself or herself and for other people, without being a doormat that anyone can walk over. How you choose to do this is a matter of personal choice depending on the parent's parenting philosophy and the child's unique personality.

Reply to Maria