Question
Posted by: Dedda | 2004/03/08

ATT: Doc - Grass Allergy

Could you please help me. I have a Jack Russell (male) of about 8 months. He is allergic to grass. Every Saturday I take him to school and every time his skin turns red and irritable on his tummy and bums. He does have bold patches on those areas because of the biting and scratching. Is there anything I can put on before we go to the doggy school. He loves the outdoors and it will be a bit unfair if I have to keep him indoors all day.

Ooh, a very difficult problem indeed. The only to cure for an allergy is complete avoidance of whatever causes the allergy. In his case, in other words, avoiding grass, which is not really possible or fair. You can try getting him to wear a very light T-shirt that covers the body (from a material that is not warm but will also not allow easy penetration of grass and grass seed). Any good clothes maker should be able to help you with us. You can try using barrier creams (nappy rash cream) and cortisone creams or antihistamine creams as well, it may also be effective. I hope this helps!

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Panther | 2004/03/15

Try using the following : Eco Vet - Eco Allergy
Eco Vet is a homeopathic product, and you can buy it from most pharmacies. My mother uses on her Jack Russel that is also allergic to grass and it works.

Reply to Panther
Posted by: Coco | 2004/03/13

My bullmastiff suffers terribly from what we think is a grass/garden allergy with the same symptoms as the Jack Russell above. One can take blood and have it analysed through Vet Diagnostics in Pietermaritzburg, who send it to Switzerland. They will reply with whatever your dog is MOST allergic to, and can also prepare medication to desensitise it to the 3 worst ones,which is injected at prescribed intervals.
It is also worth taking skin samples for analysis, to see if it is a dermatosis of some kind, which I am reliably informed often runs side by side with these skin allergies. Antibiotics are given for 6 to 12 weeks (RANCEPH 500) with cortisone strictl;y avoided during this time.
The Swiss route is expensive but very often effective, despite being a long term treatment, when all else has failed-total cost being +/-R2600.
Ursula.

Reply to Coco
Posted by: Davina | 2004/03/11

Hi Dede,

Not doc I'm afraid but I do have some advice. Allergies can be caused by an internal problem.

I was informed that feeding your dogs boilded white rice, raw chicken and raw non-acidic vegitables, has cured various allergies (including skin allergies) in dogs who have suffered all there live.

It's worth a try:)

Any argument Chill, dear??

Reply to Davina