Question
Posted by: Distributor | 2007/03/30

ATT: DIET DOC

HEREWITH INGREDIENTS FOR HERBALIFE MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE

Protein
Carbohydartes
Fat
Fibre
Sodium
Vitamin A
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Vitamin B1
Vitamin B2
Niacin
Vitamin B6
Folic Acid
Vitamin B12
Biotin
Pantothenic Acid
Calcium
Iron
Phosphorous
Magnesium
Zinc
Iodine
Potassium
Copper
Selenium
Manganese

Fructose, soy protein, isolate, milk protein, soy lecithin, soybean oil, flavours, thickeners, cellulose powder, oat fibre, corn bran, anti-caking agent, dextrose, calcium citrate, potassium phosphate, beta carotene, potassium powder, papaya powder, zinc oxide, copper gluconate, vitamin A, vitamin D, antioxidants (alfatocapherol, ascorbic acid,lecithin), manganese carbonate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamina, riboflavin, thiamine, folic acid, potassium iodide, sodium selenite, biotin

Energy Per serving 388kj
Energy per serving with skimmed milk – 910kj

Dear Distributor and the Reader called 'Anon"
Thanks so much for this info. I have checked the ingredients and can see that this a reasonable meal replacement product. The macro-ingredients like the soy protein, etc should cause no harm and the vitamins and minerals are fine as long as the total intake via the shakes does not exceed the Recommended Daily Allowances (RDAs) for vitamins A, D and E. Recent research has just revealed that taking these vitamins as supplements in excess of the RDAs can cause problems, so it is best not to overdose on these vitamins. The energy value of 910 kJ with skimmed milk is also below the 2100 kJ per meal that one would recommend for anyone who is trying to lose weight. So now that you have provided me with the breakdown of the Herbalife shake, I would say that you can certainly use it to replace one or two meals a day, provided you also have a 'normal' balanced meal with fruits and vegetables, lean meat or fish and a source of extra dietary fibre (brown rice, crushed wheat, etc) for the 3rd meal of the day.