Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2007/06/08

ATT: Dee

Hi Dee.
I have been reading on everyone's questions to find my answers and you seem to be quite clued up on this matter.
I suffer from PCOS and left the pill two months ago. My periods have been irregular since I left the pill and my gynae said I should do a progesterone test to see if I am ovulating. I have 2 to 3 periods in one month. This will be my second pregnancy and the first time when I left the pill to fall pregnant I had the opposite - I never had periods and then ended up going onto clomid. Do you think I should wait a few months to see if my periods will regulate or should I just go for the test. I am 30.
Thanks for all your help

Dear Sandra

The dysfunctional bleeding that you are experiencing currently may be an indication of the hormonal imbalance which is not in keeping with PCOS. I would recommend that thyroid functions be done and a careful pelvic intra vaginal ultrasound be done as well to establish underlying endometrial problems. Should no abnormalities be detected, it may be indicated to use medication such as Primolut - N for 10-14 days to stop the bleeding process and regulate endometrial thickness. Thereafter an attempt should be made at ovulation induction using medication such as clomiphene citrate (Clomid/Fertimed/Serpohene etc) together with ovulation monitoring and timed intercourse.

4
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/08

Pleasure Sandra. Please keep us updated. Best of luck to you too!

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Sandra | 2007/06/08

Thanks Dee!

Your advice is logical and will be taken to heart.

Hope you fall pregnant soon! Sandra

Reply to Sandra
Posted by: Sandra | 2007/06/08

Thanks Dee.

Your advice will be taken to heart.

Good luck!! Sandra

Reply to Sandra
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/08

Hi Sandra,
Hope I can be of help!

Personally I dont think you are ovulating if you say you have 2-3 periods in a month. There would not be enough time for an egg to develop before each bleed. It seems like your hormones are a bit out of sync, you could probably go for the prog test but I am thinking it might come out as somewhere inbetween because you must have prog in your system for your lining to build up and then a drop in the prog levels results in a bleed.

I'm not too sure what to tell you, maybe the best would be to wait it out for another month and see what happens but if you have PCOS then i suspect that you may need to go onto Clomid again. Perhaps you should discuss with your gynae if he is willing to put you onto Clomid after your next bleed?

I have also read somewhere (although I stand to be corrected) that you can use Provera to correct intermittent bleeding. Although Provera is normally used to bring on a period if you use it for a month straight then it helps to regulate the cycle. Perhaps you can suggest this to your gynae aswell?

I'm not too sure how you feel about it but maybe it would even be worth you rather seeing a fertility specialist. I know that my gynae just wrote out mounds of Clomid for me and it never really helped me. Now that I am seeing an FS I finally feel like I am being listened to. Just a thought....

Reply to Dee