Question
Posted by: x | 2007/04/30

ATT: Cybershrink

Hi CS
I have posted once before to you with a similar issue. When I was in my first year of varsity '10yrs ago, i USED TO TAKE FORMULAE 2001 which were used to increase metabolism etc etc extreamly high in caffeine etc. ANyway I think looking back now, I experienced psychotic episodes on them. As soon as I stopped taking them, they disappeared. I used to pinch myself when thse evil thoughts came into my head (I wasstudying psych and behaviour modification ;-) Anyway a few years later in thailand i had those buckets which is concentrated red bull and rum and again I did not sleep for 2 nights (I couldn't) and invasive evil thoughts kept creeping into myhead but I wa saware that I was being totally irrational and it totally scared me witless as though you cant trust yourself. Now even if I have a cup of tea (caffeinated tea) the same thing happens, though on a smaller scale, but it is really scaring me CS as my dad was manic depressive and died when i was small, do you think what I am experiencing is of a similar origin...I am so embarrassed to go to a dr. as I am really generally happy and successful, it is just this dark side that is worrying me, it is so out of character...or maybe is my shadow according to Jung peeping through ;-)

Any form of stimulant taken in excess can cause a range of psych symptoms, including possible psychotic effects. And Red Bull is smilarly an over-hyped and over-priced concoction with excess stimulants. Its a good and re-assuring sign that you recognized when you were becoming irrational and that these were abnormal experieces.
Nothing to be embarrassed about, about seeing a doctor --- if you happen to have one or other variety of rather unstable brain chemistry, it's hardly your fault, but it may respond, after proper assessment, to a range of interventions. What you describe isn't necessarily part of a manic-depressive / Bipolar problem, though of course it's wise to have the shrink you eventually see consider that possibility within his assessment. Jung never looked into the chemical nature of the Shadow...