Question
Posted by: Joan | 2007/02/23

ATT: Buffs re Smegal

Hi Buffs

What are the chances that he will hunt my father in laws chickens they are quite big and i was warned that if he catches the chickens he will be shot. He has a collar on and i am going to try the bells i hope it will work, but why bring them into the house why can'y he call me outside to show me what a good little hunter he is like the dogs do?
I have two dogs and my man owns the cat he is about 6 months old and i don't seem to understand cats they are the total opposite to dogs. Like the birds when i think its gross my man says its good.

Cats will hunt almost anything - leverits, immature guineafowl, chickens - it is part of their instinct. Our neighbours feed rock doves and pidgeons on their drive and have taught their 4 cats to leave the birds alone, including the guineafowl chicks. You cna try and teach them to leave the chicken but you will also need ot teach the father-in-law that it is part of their nature and he should keep his chicken in such a way that they do not become tempting snacks for the "hunters".

2
Posted by: Buffs | 2007/02/26

I hate to say it but cats are quiet cowardly. i dont think they will hunt anything thats much bigger than they are. chickens will fight back.

I have to admit when my cat bobby caught his first mouse i was delighted! woke my hubby up to show him what a good boy my baby bob is.

LOL, that said we try save as many of the cats snacks as we can, but durng the night while we are sleeping and when we are work through the day its a free for all. The mice have learnt not to come into our house and so i normally just find insect peices. Usually under my pillow or in my shoes. for some reason they leave me the legs, so i just pretend to be thrilled with my gift and chuck it away when they are not looking.

My cat Zabby collects bugs. When she has 3 or 4 she sticks them all in her mouth jumps up on my lap and goes "BLUHHHH" and spits them all out on me. Not pleasent but hell its stops them from eating each other LOL

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Carol | 2007/02/23

I seriously doubt the cat will catch a chicken .. stalk them yes, chase them yes until the rooster kicks his butt then it will be game over :)

As I have said before I have 10 cats and they leave my chickens alone :)

Reply to Carol