Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2006/10/30

-|- atoo

Hi there,

I have 5 members in my family. My -|- atoo screams EXTREMELY loud if just one of us leaves the room (our tv room - that's where his cage is) when just one of us leaves the room.

If ALL of us leaves he screames like hell! I tried EVERYTHING!!!! But nothing work!!!!! He even shrieks when my maid leaves the room. We decided not to pick him up anymore. And even close his cage with a blanket, but nothing happened. Even if we put the light off he shriekes!

He follows us upstairs even. He is so desperate to be with us

I went next to him and I screamed "what do you want!"? And he was playing and tried to bite me and play with me.

I feel like to kill him by now

Sanet

Please help me.

Where do you live? I will try to find someone to help you.

3
Posted by: WR | 2006/10/31

Hi There!

Yeap, you have a problem! -|- atoos are VERY afectionate birds, and personally I believe the last bird ANYONE should consider to have as a pet. They just need tooo much attention.
To be brutally honest I believe you should consider giving the bird to someone that know -|- atoos WELL, and know how to handle them and treat them. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are a bad person, I'm just saying that I don't believe just any person can give the bird the attention it deserves/needs.
Many websites on the internet advise against getting a -|- atoo as a pet-bird. Yes, like Chill said, that book could work, and there are many similar books that could help you undestand the problem.....but I'm wondering wether you'll have the dedication and time to rectify this situation ~ once again, nothing personal!!!

Google, Eliteparrotsclub . com, or parrotchronicles . com or birdsnways . com and also for eg. something along the lines of 'Problem -|- atoo' , ' -|- atoo Behaviour' etc. and if you want be more specific; eg. Sulpher Crested, or Umbrella etc. depending on what you have.

I really hope and pray that you have the patience, time, money and love for this bird, to help you through this problem, but like I said, don't stress/ or feel bad if you can't do it, as many people in the world have this same problem with their -|- atoos!

GOOD LUCK!!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/31

There's a book called 'Guide to a well-behaved parrot' by Mattie Sue Athan. It's published by Barron's, and the ISBN number is 0-8120-4996-9. The Dewey classification is 636.6865, in case you want to check at the library.

It's a smallish book and it's full of good advice and parrot strategies.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2006/10/30

I suggest you do a google search on parrots and parrot behaviour.

Screaming at him is certainly not going to help.

Reply to Carol