Question
Posted by: maria | 2004/10/18

atleast i've seen the results

hi doc.
when i joined weighless i was bit overweight , manage to lose all the weight and my bmi is normal now . after that i started going to gym but according to body iq machine i've got more fat in my body, which i believe its true because my thigh are big. its been six months now and my weight is still the same . please explain this . i go to gym 4 - 5 times and follow my weigh less plan.the problem is i want to but a nice jean but my thigh are flabby.i've always had big thighs. i'm pear shaped woman. i'm about to give up. please help

Hi Maria

I would be a little hesitant to say that you should interpret the bodyIQ machine too literally. For example, when did you do the previous measurement? Was it on the same machine? How different is it because machines are acccurate, but not perfect and so a difference of 1% is not really a difference?

I think that one of the important things here is that you are at a normal BMI. THis means that losing any more weight is difficult because your body is pretty close to its ideal range. Therefore, it's going to be tough to lose more. The focus of your training, now that you have lost weight, shifts to toning and losing fat. IN this regard, my advice is that cardiovascular-type activities are preferential for weight loss. These include activities such as walking, jogging, cycling, aerobics, swimming etc. It is important to exercise between 4 and 5 times a week, for a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes each session. It is also ideal to work at a moderate to hard intensity, but for a longer duration. You should aim to do these sessions at an intensity that allows you to complete the session without feeling completely exhausted, but having worked up a good sweat and feeling that your breathing and metabolic rate are elevated. A moderate intensity is certainly the way to go - if you train too easily, nothing will happen, and if you train too hard, then you soon become tired and burned out. So, aim for an intensity that will allow you to finish a session and recover by the next one. If you feel like you are carrying a whole week's worth of training in your body, then you are traininig too hard. Other than intensity, the rest is easy - you just have to go out and get those sessions in. Of course, if you are just starting out, then I would suggest starting off by training every other day, and possibly for only 20 minutes. THen you should aim to build up gradually until you reach the 30 to 45 minutes, 4 or 5 times a week mark.

It is also important to do some weight training, as this will help to speed up your metabolism, increase muscle tone, and lose weight in the right areas. If you have access to a gym, ensure that you are shown how to do each exercise correctly, to prevent injuries.

With regard to weight training, the following tips should be kept in mind:

If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
• Perform 3-4 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
• Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
• Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
• Perform 4-6 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps

Obviously, I may be saying things that you are already doing and have not seen results with. However, I really do think that you need to look at how hard you are training (ideally, you should go for 'moderate'. Don't kill yourself, but be aware that if you don't push it slightly, you won't really see the results.

Other than this, just keep it up. Once you reach the ideal range, you will need to be patient and just persevere. And diet is vital, and without this, you can train till you drop and not see anything so it's really important that you are eating very well.