Question
Posted by: Hannelie | 2005/07/19

Atkins Diet

I am now for two weeks on the Atkins diet, eating lots of meat and up till six eggs a day. For the last seven days no cheating and eating 4 to 5 times a day, but a test my kletose but this show the beige and far away from the pink or the puple that it suppose to be. Can it be that this Atkins diet not working for me, because I'm not losing wait but 1kg up. I drink up to 4-5lt water a day

What are you suggestion is the problem? Must I use another diet and what are you suggest.

Thanks for your help, I really desperate to lose some kg.

Dear Hannelie
I am not in favour of the Atkins diet. To read more about the negative effects of a high-protein, high-fat diet click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and search for the article I published on 'The Atkins Diet' which is based on the Position Paper I prepared for the Association for Dietetics in SA. Don't stay on such a diet for long and then change over to low-fat, high-fibre diet instead (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and combine this with regular exercise. In regard to water intake, don't have more than 3-4 glasses a day otherwise you will wash important minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium out of your body and cause electrolyte imbalances. I can understand that you are desperate, but don't harm your health by using a potentially dangerous diet and putting yourself at risk of water intoxication.
Take great care

1
Posted by: Science | 2005/07/19

You should not be on this diet - it is harmful, especially for women as it leaches calcium out of your bones due to the increased pressure on your kidneys to excrete the rediculous amount of protein. So if you're in for osteoporosis and bowel cancer (this diet contains no fibre) and want to toy with Type II diabetes (the fat content damages you insulin producing cells), by all means go ahead with this diet. Please read Diet Doc's article on Atkins by clicking on Diet above and then on Weight Loss and then on Diet Detective.

Reply to Science