Question
Posted by: Dennis | 2005/11/28

Athlete Fitness

I am 16 years old and I would like to play professional Football. I know that in this career you need to be really fit. I have a little excercise program that I made for myself and I probably jog 4 times a week and I also do sprints and muscle Buliding excercises
but how will I get fit enough to play 45 minutes a side with professionals? I still have at least another 5 months until we start playing matches. Any advice will be appreciated.
Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis

What you are doing now is a great start. You are still young, and I think that it is terrific that you are thinking ahead and setting yoruself the goal of playing soccer as a pro. But the thing about being young, is that the body and the mind are probably not quite ready to be a full time athlete, and so doing training as though you were a 24 year old is not a great idea. So I would say that for now, you should just stick with what you are doing in the off season. Remember, it's 5 months until you begin playing, so you have so long to get yourself into a reasonable level of fitness and then you can approach the season with a different training programme. There is certainly nothing that I would add to your current training - keep up the jogging, but don't go too far or for too long. Also, don't overdo the sprint and muscle building exercises, just enjoy the training, don't push yourself.

And, at the end of the day, the only way to really prepare for playing soccer is to play soccer. So the first few games of the year, you will struggle, and it's the base level of fitness that you are working on now that will allow you to recover and then get better. But everyone starts the season needing a few games to get fully prepared, there's not much you can do about that, without overdoing the training now. So just enjoy the next five months, work on base fitness and skills, and then when the season starts, all this will stand you in good stead.

1
Posted by: Des | 2005/11/30

Let me start by saying a pro footballer career unless you are black and come from a poor community you will not succeed in this country. I do'nt want to dash your hopes but be realistic there are thousands of footballers out there and only a handful make due to luck. When scouts from overseas come they only visit the poor communities which is an insult. If we can stop viewing soccer in this country as a black sport than it will prosper. Their are so many good footballers but because of they colour and backround will never be able to represent this country.
All I am saying that try your best but do not neglect your studies because as far as pro career goes its difficult. Maybe try moving out of SA and going to a good soccer school in england, this is very costly but you will know then if you are any good.
Good Luck!!

Reply to Des