Question
Posted by: Gilda | 2005/01/04

At what age does the PERI-MENOPAUSE start?

I am afraid I have only a very rudimentary knowledge about the "change of life".

I will be fourty years old in a few months time, and am starting to worry about entering this phase of my life, especially since I already have low bone density. More importantly, I want to fall pregnant fairly soon.

I've been eating lots of soya sausages to try and postpone the arrival of the menopause for as long as possible, but I have now been told that these sausages may cause breast cancer.

I am also worried that I won't be able to recognise the symptoms of the menopause especially if they are subtle. (I want to start with HRT as soon as possible, once I enter the peri-menopause).

QUESTION:
My last two periods were both about three days late in arriving and, in both of these cycles, I did NOT have any ovarian (ovulation) pain, like I normally do. Does this mean that I did not ovulate these last two months?

PS: I haven't noticed any other changes in terms of my cycle, the flow is still the same (very light), and my cycle varies between 24 and 31 days, but averages about 28 days. (This has been the pattern ever since I started menstruating). I never have any period pain, only ovulation pain. The only symptoms I experience prior to my periods are dizziness and extreme fatique, sometimes slight diarrhoea.

You may not have ovulated in these cycles, but that does not mean that you are close to the menopause. Most women have the occasional cycle where they do not ovulate. In most cases the menopause starts between 45 and 55 years. Signs would be hot flushes and irregular/absent periods. You can have a blood test on Day 3 of your cycle to check FSH levels, which would give you an indication of whether or not you are close to the menopause. This may be worth doing in your case, so that you know what your chances of a pregnancy are.
If you have a low bone density, you can take calcium tablets and exercise regularly in the meantime.