Posted by: DHC | 2011/09/20

At my wits end and totally confused

Hello doctor. I hope you can assist me. My husband and I use condoms (as I am not on contraception) and we also don’ t use any protection when I know I’ m not ovulating. 2 weeks ago we had unprotected intercourse. Now 2 days ago my husband says he has burning urine (apparently getting better). Today he shows me he has small little pimples on his penis (not at the tip, but closer to the hairline, but still on the penis). He has squeezed them and now they look a little odd. There is no discharge from the urethra. Doctor, I need some medical advice here as what I am reading on the web gives me no clue at all. I myself have had some gynae issues over the last year (I was treated for PID last year, BUT swabs showed no infection at all of the STI type i.e. chlamydia and gonerrea)… although one Dr I saw said there was Gardnerella written on the report. I understand that your first instinct might be to say this sounds like an STI as you do not know me or my husband. I cannot ask you not to think that, although I know it myself and you are a Dr and you have to investigate all possibilities. Let’ s say it wasn’ t an STI (in the true meaning of the word), could you offer any advice as to what it could be and do I have to worry so much ?? Did I give him a disease because of my past PID ?? (if that''s what I had as I had to beg a Dr for a diagnosis eventually). My husband nor I have had intercourse with anyone else in the past 16 years. Oddly enough I have still had pain after treatment 9 months ago for the PID and I have always wanted to know what the treatment regime is used for it –  I’ ve read the medication (tablet form) is for at least 14 days –  I had a 7 day treatment with 3 different meds ? Was this enough ?? Thank you so much Doctor for listening.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

It is definately not a sexually transmitted disease. It is more likely inflammation at the shaft of the penis, due to local irritation, which can happen when the vaginal lubrication is acidic. PID can be treated with Flagyl for a period of 14 days. Your husband's burning urine can be due to slight irritation or due to viral infection of the prostatic gland. He should consult an urologist for a prostate examination, which is a good idea, as this essential in detecting early prostate pathology.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.