Question
Posted by: Sandhya | 2005/01/10

Asthma & Yoga

I am a chronic asthmatic & it was reccomended that I practice yoga . The closest teacher ,practices Iyengar Yoga . However I am not quite sure which type to follow as there seems to be a whole lot of different types. particularly want to join one thats beneficial to my asthma. What would you reccomend?

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Sandhya - the local Iyengar teacher would be a good start since that style of yoga requires teachers to have extensive training and also caters for a broad variety of remedial applications. Yoga is about breath and the breathing will undoubtedly assist your asthma so I would still recommend trying a couple of other styles and teachers too. Become aware of which feels most appropriate for you. In addition, you might try and get hold of a book called "Yoga beats Asthma" by Stella Weller which I am sure will help.
Good luck.
Chris

1
Posted by: Found this | 2005/01/11

I would like to share my extraordinary experience of overcoming asthma difficulty through the practice of Ashtanga yoga. I am a new practitioner of Ashtanga, taking classes with Helena Niininen at the Salve Stockholm centre in Stockholm, Sweden. Even in the first few days of practicing Ashtanga yoga, and especially, I believe, the sounded breathing exercises, I experienced that my asthma difficulties disappeared completely. Within a few days, I no longer needed to use an inhaler at night because my breathing was open and easy. I wish to thank my teacher Helena Niininen and the esteemed teachers of Ashtanga. Thank you. With best wishes, Aaron Thomas (Stockholm, Sweden).

Reply to Found this