Question
Posted by: Runner G | 2005/01/10

Asthma like pain when starting run

I am a veteran Comrades runner (10) as well as numerous other events. I have found that lately, when I go for a training run in the mornings, I experience a pain like asthma in my chest which also manifests itself as pain in the jaw bone.
If I run in the afternoons, this effect does not occur.
I am 49 years old, 168 cm in height and weigh 69 kg.

Any ideas ?

Hi runner G

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by pain like asthma in the chest and jaw bone - asthma would refer to being out of breath and struggling to get in enough air, and I am not exactly sure that is the same as one would feel in the jaw. If it is a sharp pain that you are feeling, then it might be something quite different, though I must confess to not having any ideas right away what this could be caused by. It's not as though the mornings are particularly cold, although perhaps much cooler than in the afternoons - often cold air is more difficult to breathe in (again, this is the asthma, but not the jaw pain) and so it might explain some of it. If it is a sharp pain in the chest, then I do suggest that you see a doctor - in fact, being breathless when you are not usually is also perhaps a good time to see a doctor and just make sure that things are OK.