Question
Posted by: Irs | 2006/10/26

Asthma caused by stress?

Doc,
I have been to my doctor twice now, but I'm not sure what to think. Often during the day, my throat feels like it just closes up, making me "cough". It happens both when I inhale or exhale. As my lung scans came out clean, the doctor suggested it might be a very mild form of asthma, caused by tension and stress. (I've had a very stressful time at work lately, and it does make sense in a way.) He prescribed Ventolin and some Ativan to help me relax.
Now, my company's medical fund doesn't recognize the disease "stress related asthma" as given by my doctor. They say stress is not a recognized cause of asthma, and that I don't really have asthma.
Please help. Can I have asthma caused by stress, and what is it called (in medical terms)? It not, what is wrong? Do I have to try another doctor?
Thanks for your trouble.

Dear IRS
Stress can make asthma worse, but does not primarily cause asthma - see if your doctor can send you for a lungfunction test to confirm the asthma diagnosis.