Question
Posted by: chanty | 2007/04/10

asthma and scuba diving

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. (I hope I'm on the right sight)
I want to take up scuba diving, but I have asthma. I am currently on Seretide 50/250 accuhaler, it is a preventative and I take Venteze if I have an attack. My asthma is quite severe. Would it be safe for me to try scuba diving?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Chanty
No. I do scuba diving a lot and would be terrified to have an asthmatic diving with me. I fail all asthmatics who come for a medical.
The problems can include air trapping but an attack under water would be inevitably fatal.
Doesn't stop you from snorkelling, though.

Dr P