Question
Posted by: Shmegal | 2004/10/13

Assisted pregnancies at higher risk?

I heard recently that if you have an 'assisted pregnancy' i.e. using fertility drugs / IVF / AI and the like, you are more likely to miscarry than if you had conceived naturally. Is this so? Is there a percentage that the medical profession works on i.e. 5% of assisted pregnancies bound to abort.
If this is the case, what is the actual reason?

Many thanks.

I doubt if the risk of miscarriage is higher in this group of pregnancies. Some early pregnancies are recognised in this cycles that may not have been if they were not on treatment

3
Posted by: Taylor | 2004/10/13

I have heard that babies who are the result of fertility treatment are more likely to be born with urogenital abnormalities.

Reply to Taylor
Posted by: Shmegal | 2004/10/13

Hi Sun

I hope you are right. I would have thought that 'assisted pregnancies' would be more stable but it will be interesting to hear what the doc has to say.

Otherwise I'm doing well. Exams tomorrow so cramming like mad. I was feeling a little sad earlier as I just learnt that a younger family member is pregnant for the second time, a friend of mine has just been given her delivery date which is in a couple of weeks and to top it all this morning I needed to get the ironing board out of my spareroom cupboard and of course the cupboard is full of packs of nappies. Maybe I'm just hormonal which I guess is a good sign. I just want the time to go by quickly now so that I can fall preggies again. I admire your strength for waiting until Jan 2005 before you try again. I think I am too impatient to wait. I'm also hoping that somehow I still have an abundance of 'good' hormones in my body that could assist me in falling pregnant first time.

Take care.

Reply to Shmegal
Posted by: Sun | 2004/10/13

Hi Schmegal

How are you doing? This is the first I hear of this, it would be interesting to investigate.

I heard that assisted pg have a better chance because they can see any problems that might arise before transfer.

Keep Well
Sun

Reply to Sun