Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2003/03/18

Asprin for heart disease

I am 54. It has been recommended that I take a daily dose of 'Ecotrin low' for circulation (father had a stroke) and to prevent colon polyps (just had 2 removed). There seem to be so many side-effects and contra-indications against taking asprin, so am a bit wary of taking it on a continuing basis. I know Gingko Biloa cannot be taken at the same time, as it can cause stomach bleeding. Is it safe to take Procydin (also an antioxidant used for circulation) with asprin and will taking asprin prevent potential blood clots in the legs in the case of flying (I have terrible varicose veins in the one leg-they were stripped 10 years ago, but are back with a vengeance). Many thanks

Jenna, aspirin is an excellent drug for the prevention of blood clots (including DVT) and I doubt that it will cause any problems if you take 100mg per day. It is also safe to take Ecotrin® with Procydin®. Good luck.
PS. I wrote something on aspirin a while ago and if you would like a copy, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za.