Question
Posted by: Max | 2004/02/18

Aspiring Doctor

Hi I am not sure if this is the correct place to air this but i am a married man of 25years old. I have 2 kids and married settled very young. I am a financial manager in the private sector, my wife in her final year of Bcompt with a veiw to become a CA. I wanted to ask you if being a doctor in SA is as bad as news makes it, with public service possible restriction of location of practise etc. I want a change of life, my childhood dream was to be a doctor and I wish to fulfill it.

Max, all I can say is that I have a good life. I have a private practice in an affluent area and I’m not about to leave the country. I might not be the richest guy around, but my work makes me happy. I feel I make a difference and my patients always manage to make me feel better no matter how bad the mood I’m in when I arrive at work. If you’re in it just for the money, you will be able to do better elsewhere, but as a whole being a doctor is the only job I want to do. Good luck.
PS. You can always go back to being a financial manager if you don’t like it. The knowledge gained will never be a waste.

1
Posted by: Max | 2004/02/24

Thanks Doc
I have contacted the Medical University in KZN and am making inroads to reach my dream. The financial reward in my current position is more than adequate however it lacks job satisfaction,I want to help people
Thanks again
Max

Reply to Max