Question
Posted by: Angie | 2008/01/25

Asperger Syndrome

Please tell me who is the best person to prescribe medication for a child with Asperger: a neurologist or a Psychiatrist? My son has been treated by a neurologist but the medication is not effective. I have discussed it with him, but he has increased the meds- had no improvement on my son's condition. Please help me to find the best specialist for my son. He is 11 years old. I am at my wits end.

I wish there was a simple answer to that, but it depends not so much on the generic title of the specialist but on their training and experience of this uncommon and relatively recently recognized condition. A child psychiatrist ought to be a good bet ( expericed with children's psych disorders and with medical and nruological training ) but some neurologists with a special interest in this condition could be helpful. As a neurologist has proved unhelpful in your experience, try a child psychiatrist --- I have met some in Gauteng with a real interest in the condition. Before making an appointment, as the receptionist / secretary to check whether the specific shrink has experience and interest in this particular condition. Maybe the Dept of Psychiatry at your nearest medical school could advise, too.

1
Posted by: anon | 2008/01/26

You may want to look into Some larger hospitals and teaching hospitals who have developmental and behavioral pediatrician or pediatric neurologists, and as the other reply says, look for someone who is specialized for Aspergers. Don't ever be afraid to get a second or even a third opinion. Have you tried locating a support group, or support through your school district where you can talk to other parents who can maybe give you referrals and some support? best wishes to you.

Reply to anon