Question
Posted by: Myself | 2008/01/17

Aspartame - who do I believe?

I have received information on the possible negative effects which are likely to be caused by the continuous use of this product and have read information on websites as well as letters sent in by people who were allegedly negatively effected by using this.

Now I have to state that my wife also suffers from certain of the symptoms mentioned and this cause us to worry.

For this reason I searced the internet again today and came up against your article about this in which you state that none of those allegations are true and that it should be disregarded and taken as a hoax.

I would like to know who to believe as it was mentioned in the website that people and/or companies who have an interest ni the marketing of the products which contains this substance, will deny all accusations and also that them having "a deep pocket", prevent legislation to be passed which will require that all possible consquences of using the substance is to be published openly.

Whom do I believe as, as mentioned, my wife suffers from some of these symptoms and have been using the products containing this for a number of years and also the doctor states that he cannot explain certain of her medical conditions?

Dear Myself,
I tried to read up on aspartame using academic articles, and information from the FDA and similar institutions but if you suspect that your wife’s symptoms may be caused by this, rather avoid it altogether. Although the articles show that one has to take in huge quantities before this causes any side effects, it may be that some people are very sensitive to the chemical.
See http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00772.html
http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/1999/699_sugar.html
Hope this helps!

1
Posted by: Karen | 2008/01/19

I think the fact that aspartamine is referred to as a CHEMICAL speaks for itself. Our bodies were not originally made to tolerate chemicals only natural foods, it is only that over the centuries chemicals have been introduced to out diets. Leave them alone and go back to natural food. Rather use Xylitol as a natural but good sweetener !

Reply to Karen