Question
Posted by: Jay Richards | 2004/10/27

Aspartame - The Sweet Poison

Hey there,

I was wondering if you have noticed all the furore overseas at the moment about nasty Aspartame. Several agencies and people are suing the FDA, Nutrasweet and Dick Cheney for the underhanded tactics to get aspartame approved in the states. Pepsi and 7Up are removing it from their products and the EU are banning it in children's foods.

But of course, when I ask Woolworth's about their policy with this nasty poison, I get the standard corporate BS. Here are some facts about nasty;

Aspartame is made of 3 components, 50% phenylalanine, 40% aspartic acid and 10% methanol (wood alcohol). In the body methanol breaks down into formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and formic acid.

Embalming fluid - how wonderful. Formaldehyde is in the same poison class as arsenic and cyanide. It is commonly know that it causes cancer. This is only the start of what nasty does.

Wow and this nasty is everywhere.

What is your take on nasty?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Most recent, reliable research concludes that aspartame is not dangerous for the general population*. That said, consumers are quite justified to be concerned about any food additive – especially one that’s making its manufacturers stupendously wealthy. Some studies on aspartame have turned up disturbing evidence, and several medical experts are vociferously against the sweetener. Also, there is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence (e.g. from migraine sufferers) that aspartame worsens symptoms in susceptible individuals. And, scientists remain uncertain about its long-term effects.

The constituents of aspartame you mention also occur naturally in several foods, although there is always the concern that isolating constituents and ingesting them in large amounts could have a negative impact. Still, most research indicates that you’d need to ingest huge amounts (e.g. gallons and gallons of soft drinks) to suffer ill effects.

So my take on it is as follows: if you need to cut down on your sugar intake, but are longing for that sweet taste, occasional aspartame use is fine. But as a general rule, rather avoid artificial food additives, eat more unprocessed foods, and rediscover the taste of food that isn’t loaded with salt and sugar.

You might want to also get Health24's Diet and Natural experts' views on this.

*Note: Individuals with the genetic condition phenylketonuria should avoid aspartame, as well as foods that contain phenylalanine.

1
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/27

I've been seeing a dietitian for the last 2-3 months and she also stronlgy advises against consuming products containing aspartame.

According to her the consumption of aspartame stimulates the wrong enzymes in your body and your body starts to crave more carbohydrates, which has negative effects on you if you are consuming aspartame (in sweeteners etc.) to substitute for sugar.

Reply to FH