Question
Posted by: CJ | 2003/12/06

ASPARTAME? EAS SIMPLY PROTEIN

My son is 17 years old and is an excellent rugby player - extremely motivated and disciplined in his exercise routine with a local biokinetic. He is using EAS Simply Protein mixed with raw egg white and fruit, on a regular basis for months now, and my question/problem is that it contains ASPARTAME, ACESULFAME K and as far as I am concerned that is not healthy at all!!! (quantities not listed on containers) The two amino acids in aspartame - PHENYLALANINE and ASPARTIC ACID - can cause neurotoxic effects, such as brain damage if taken in high enough doses in certain individuals, a very small group of people who have the rare hereditary disease phenylketonuria. Aspartic acid also has the potential to cause brain damage at very high doses. I know there is still studies on aspartame and other dietary factors as part of a larger study of adult brain cancer, and this info is enough to change my mind on this/these products, even though ASPARTAME has been approved by the FDA in 1981. Any feedback?

Expert ImageBodybuilding

CJ,

Yes, there have definitely been studies that show that aspartame etc. are not beneficial for the body at all. I heard a story from a doctor that had a patient who had major headaches and seizures. After this patient stopped using diet colas they tried to induce a seizure with no success.

When they then told the patient to drink another diet cola he had a seizure literally 5 minutes after ingestion of the product. Personally I stay away from these sweeteners but I know that EAS puts these substances into their products to reduce the sugar/kilojoule content while not sacrificing the flavour.

What I would also suggest however is that you have a chat with the Jacqui at the Sport Nutrition forum and get her input and opinion. See what she has to say.

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

1
Posted by: cj | 2003/12/07

Thanx Conrad
Will ask Jacqui.
Any other supplements that he could try that is 'safe' according to you? He is a 'very strong' front row player - 96kg - body fat 12% - 1,9m tall and will be in grade 12 next year. Played Craven week this year and is working towards his goal for next year already. Looks more like a flanker and 8th man than a prop. He wants to build muscle!
He Bench Press 130kg at this stage.

Reply to cj