Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2010/02/17

Aspartame and sodas

Hi DietDoc,
Thanks for the useful info on this site!

I was wondering what your take on aspartame is?

Also, what do you think of sodas like coke? My gut feeling is that your body can probably do without all those chemicals. Are sodas really all that bad?

thanks,
J

Dear J
The use of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame has been declared safe by an international body of experts from most major countries around the world. You can read the article I wrote on this subject, by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then doing a search with 'Aspartame' to find the article on 'The Aspartame Controversy'. I personally think that any sweetened cold drink is superfluous and does not contribute to nutrient intake. Rather drink soda water, boiled, cooled tap water or chilled black tea or rooibos tea during the summer months. The problem with sweetened cold drinks is: a) The ones that contain caffeine can become addictive, b) research has indicated that sugar-sweetened liquids cna be more fattening than sugar-sweetened solids. Sweetened cold drinks are associated with weight gain esp in children and teenagers.

1

Dear J