Question
Posted by: Philna | 2008/01/24

Ashamed of my home

I got married 3 years ago and I've been the pillar of the household.I've been taking care of everything for my parents, ensuring that everything is in order. I live far away from them but would travel about once a month and take care of things. Since I got married I dont go there as often as I used to but when I do,I usually find the house in a bad state.My parents are in their 60;s and have managed on their own.Now whenever I go home , I'd find my mother and skunk drunk. The house dirty,with -|- roaches everywhere.I dont even go home with my husband, I make every excuse in the book because I know the condition that will be awaiting us at my home.They never used to be like this but they are now filthy , sometimes I realise that they havent washed in days.They are quite energetic old people,no sickly at all, very healthy for their age.I dont know why this sudden love for whisky and getting sloshed. One day I found my mum slumped in a sofa,she has peed on the sofa, I woke her up, she looked at me and uttered something. I left immediately, was too ashamed.The following day when I called her she did not even know I was there. Has this got something to do with ageing?I sometimes I wish they were not my parents.

It could be alcoholism, or Alzheimer's, or various other causes. Can you arage for them to be seen by a GP nearby to assess their physical and mental sate ? And maybe the local welfare authorities could check on them and advise ?