Question
Posted by: Marinus | 2006/10/30

Asbestos - Safety

I read you article about the dangers of asbestos. How safe is Roof insultaion like Think Pink. I bought some last year and installed it in my roof. Any precautions I should take?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

This type of roof insulation is made of glass fibres (no asbestos), and is considered to be very safe. It poses a slight health risk during installation and if disturbed during renovations, but not by simply having it in your roof.

Direct contact with fibreglass materials or exposure to dust (as would happen when working with a glass fibre product) may irritate the skin, eyes and airways, causing a scratchy throat and coughing, and may worsen existing respiratory problems like asthma or brochitis. There is a possibility that long-term exposure to fibres and dust could cause permanent damage to the lungs or airways – as is the risk of chronic inhalation with any foreign particles. However, the exact nature of such damage by fibreglass is not certain. Many commentators on this issue feel that further research needs to be done before fibreglass can be given a clean bill of health.