Question
Posted by: Di | 2008/01/23

As you get older you bruise more easily?

As my mom gets older she bruises very quickly - what can she do to improve her skin condition?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Di, thank you for the question.

As we age, the veins do become more fragile, and some appear closer to the skin surface, predisposing us to bruising. The bruising you have noticed with your Mom, most probably has nothing to do with the condition of her skin. My advice would be that she sees her family doctor to make sure that her clotting factors and liver are working within normal ranges for her age. Once this has been established, a normal healthy diet and supplements that contain Vitamin D, Zinc and Magnesium is important. Furthermore, she should stay away from drugs that tend to ‘thin’ the blood such as Disprin, Aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, etc. unless prescribed by her doctor.