Question
Posted by: Hope | 2004/10/12

Artificial sweetners - another question

Hey Ladies,

Thanx for all the reply's on my previous posting. Please help me again. A friend of mine is not pregnant, but is very alarmed at the news that sweetners is not good for you. In general, is sweetners bad for anyone? Can you use it moderately or is it a no-no all together? What is the side affects of it?

Sorry for asking you guys, but their not as helpfull over at CyberDoc. They almost never answer your questions.

There should be no problems withn sweetners

3
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/13

Hi There Hope

We've been consulting with a dietitian for the last 3 or so months and she strongly advised against using sweeteners that contain aspartame, and rather use sweeteners that contain saccharrine. Most of the popular sweeteners available are aspartame based, eg. Canderel, New Sweetex, Equal, but there are some that are saccharine based like sweetex classic, hermesetas and natreen.

The resoning behind it is that aspartame stimulates the wrong enzymes in your body, and actually make you crave carbohydrates, which kinda defeats the objective of using sweeteners. Also there are a lot of resources on the internet, like stated above, that claim that excess consumption of aspartame leads to mood swings, blurred vision, heart palpitations and a whole lot of other side effects.

But, bearing in mind that this is off the internet, where all sorts of conspiracy theories are born, so it's really up to you to decide for yourself. I've spoken to a few doctors about the issue, and none of them seem to agree that it's bad for you, or not.

Check out a site called www dot dietitian dot com, and see what they have to say there.

Reply to FH
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/12

See what studies you can find that have been done. Artificial sweeteners aren't good at all, and they are found in so many things - low fat yoghurt, diet cooldrinks etc.

I ate low fat yoghurts with artificial sweetners while pregnant, as I thought that such small amounts shouldn't cause a problem.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: R | 2004/10/12

Hi Hope,

Aspartame the component found in sweetners has been associated with brain tumors in mice fed very large amounts of this substance.

Why don't you do a search on the internet for more information?

R

Reply to R