Question
Posted by: Wannano | 2006/08/01

Artificial methods

Can someone please explain the following artificial methods to me:
-artificial insemination
-Intrauterine insemination
-IVF
-ICSI

Thanks.

Dear wannano

Artificial Insemination: - Artificial insemination (AI) involves collecting and processing semen and placing it directly into the woman's vagina, cervical canal, or uterine cavity(IUI). The sperm may be from the husband or male partner (AIH) or from a donor (AID). The reasons for using artificial insemination include both male and female factors. Male factors include Abnormal Semen analysis (low count, motility, or % normal morphology), impotence, sexual dysfunctions, and retrograde ejaculation. Female factors include the use of fertility drugs to enhance pregnancy rate, anatomic abnormalities, sexual dysfunction, and congenital abnormalities of the vagina and cervix.
Intrauterine insemination is often recommended for couples that have been trying to conceive for at least one year with no explanation for their infertility. Intrauterine insemination may also be recommended for any of the following conditions:
· A low sperm count (but no less then 10 million/ml)
· While going through a Clomid cycle (Clomid/IUI)
· When being treated with injectable fertility drugs (hMG or FSH/IUI)
· Bad sperm motility
· A sperm morphology >/=8%
· Donor sperm is required
· A hostile cervix condition, such as cervical mucus that is too thick
· The couple has been diagnosed with a sexual dysfunction

IVF involves four stages:

1. Hormonal treatment is used to stimulate the development of multiple follicles.
2. Mature eggs are removed from the woman's ovaries using a fine needle. This procedure is referred to as aspiration.
3. The eggs are transferred to a laboratory dish where they are fertilized by sperm collected from the woman's partner.
4. A fertilized embryo is inserted directly into the woman's uterus several days later.

ICSI- In ICSI, a single sperm is injected into the woman's egg.
The technique may provide men who have very small amounts
of weak sperm ( too small for routine IVF) with a chance to fertilize individual eggs. If an egg is fertilized, the embryo is inserted into the uterus.
ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) is a relatively new technique which has been embraced as a breakthrough in treating male infertility. Because only one sperm is needed, which is injected directly into the egg, ICSI can offer real hope to couples where the man has a very low sperm count or produces few good-quality sperm. ICSI can also help couples who would prefer not to use donor sperm.

2
Posted by: Despret | 2006/08/04

I'm from Port Elizabeth and received the bad news that my husband will never be able to give me kids. We are currently thinking of AID. Can any one refer me to someone good in Port Elizabeth. Do you know how much the cost will be? I'm at the point of my life that I will do anything.

Please help!!!

Reply to Despret
Posted by: Seahorse | 2006/08/01

Hi Wannano,

AI - Husband gives a sperm sample which is washed and then sperm is injected straight into Uterus.
IVF - Eggs are extracted and sperm and eggs are placed in petri dish where fertilisation then takes place and embryos are placed back inside for development
ICSI - Same as IVF but the sperm is injected into the egg instead of fertilising naturally

This is very basic info for a better explanation go to wwwdotmedfemdotcodotza. They have all the info you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Seahorse

Reply to Seahorse