Question
Posted by: lockness | 2005/12/08

artificial insemination and egg donation

hi there we are a lesbian couple in johannesburg and i want my girlfriend to fall pregnant. we want to use my egg and implant it in her and artificially inseminate her that way....is this possible? how would this be done and what would the costs be? as well as where can this be done?

Dear Lockness

Yes, indeed this is possible where you would become the egg donor and she becomes the "surrogate". The process will involve ovulation induction on your side and egg retrieval and fertilisation via in vitro methods,ie lab fertilisation. It would be extremly important to have perfect synchronisation of both your and her treatment cycles in order to have the treatment to be successful. The costs would be very similar to that of IVF and ould be in the rgion of R15000-R 18000.