Question
Posted by: katsclaw1 | 2007/04/29

arthritis in leg joint

My 11 yearold german sheherd has been diagnosed with arthritis. It particularly bad in his right front shoulder.The vet has prescribed constant use of Rimadyl. But this is so expensive (approx. R20.oo per day!!!). We just cannot afford it. Is there a cheaper alternative? Also, I worry about the long term effects of constant use of anti-inflamatories. Some people have suggested giving him arthrochoice/arthro-eze as a supplement. Is this human medicine safe to give to dogs and if so what sort of dose should I give him.
thanks

You can use the joint medications like MSN and the other glucose aminoglycans to good effect. Initially it is good to use them in combo\ination with the Rimadyl and then slowly reduce the Rimadyl to a low maintenance dose. It is often possible to get the animal down to a very low dose of anti-inflammatory in combination with the joint medication. How much does the dog weigh? What is the exercise regimen?

3
Posted by: maryliz | 2007/05/01

Hello There,
I was told that my German Shepherd at 3 months had bilateral hip-displasia and that he would not be able to walk by the time he was ONE!!! I have given him Glucosamine and chondroiton suppleplements since then!! He is NOW FIVE years old and running about like a puppy. He is obedience and agility trained and does all activities well!!!
Eleven years is a GOOD age for a GSD!! If he has only been diagnosed with arthritis at eleven years he should do well on medication!!

Reply to maryliz
Posted by: Momof3 | 2007/05/01

Hi Katsclaw1-Take the dog for a swim.everyday.it is much better for his arthritis and he does not have impact on the leg.

I saw a TV show where a vet had opened a practice in Cape Town somewhere (think it was Kenilworth,)where they had a dog on the leash and let it swim in a warm swimming pool.I was very interested at the time as we had just put down a 6months old Black lab who was born with hip displacer.Both hide legs where out of the sockets.

It was a very difficult decision as we had just got the dog 3months prior from the Animal Anti Cruelty League and the dog was in so much pain already.It was falling down and could not get up in the mornig and everytime my young son would come near he wanted to bite him.So we spared him the pain.If only I had know about the swimming them.
Keeping them active,moving is a good idea, as with humans,but with low impact-like swimming.

Reply to Momof3
Posted by: katsclaw1 | 2007/04/30

Thanks for your reply. His weight is about 35kg. He takes us for a fast and furious walk every evening. We try desperately to keep the walk slow and sedate, but he will not comply. We were told that we must rather walk him on the road/pavement and not on soft ground and must not play ball as this could cause jaring in the joint and set up more inflamation. We also have a large garden which he patrols on a regular basis.

Reply to katsclaw1