Question
Posted by: Melbalina | 2007/12/10

Arthritis in cat

Hi Doc. My 10 year old, overweight, cat has been on Hills JD Dry for the last two months. She was on RD before to help with weight loss, but my conventional vet advised the switch. Although we are very strict in the measurements, she has not lost any weight on the JD, nor gained any (I see the Reduced Calorie JD is only, currently, available for Canines). Although the pain seems to have eased alot for her, she still has her limp (arthritis is in right elbow) and her elbow 'crackles' when she walks. Upon asking my two vets about the Glaucosomine content in this JD, my conventional vet stated it is made with Glaucosomine while my holistic vet said there is none in it! Ultimately, I wanted to know if I can give her an additional Glaucosomine supplement, in conjunction with the JD (that is, if it contains any Glaucosomine at all) or would it cause a potential overdose/side effects? I was also wondering if you could recommend a really good Glaucosomine/Green Lip Muscle Extract product (preferably in liquid or powder format) she could use and if, after being on this for a while, can be put back on RD, while still taking the supplement, to help with the weight loss? Thanks so much!

There are a few products available and your local Vet Shop will probably have some in stock Please send me your telephone number and I will call you about them,