Question
Posted by: Tonto | 2003/12/13

Arthritis at 37?

A doctor adviced me to take creatine and protein which I did, but it is not possible to for me to exercise for long periods of time due to business commitments. Even through out these exercise periods I have excessive pain. Is it true that even with streching and exercising I will suffer more and more as I get older and that in actual fact I'm doomed. Especially my shoulders are affected and sometimes my wrist's. I am a very active person and still have dreams of competing in an ironman event.

HI Tonto

I hate to hear the words 'doomed', although it is correct that with age, arthritis problems can become worse. However, there is still reason to believe that you can remain active - I would look into other forms of treatment as well. There are glycosamine sulfates, which are a supplement which have been suggested to help with arthritis related pain because the nourish the connective tissue in the joints, and you may give this a try - many people swear by them. Further, I would look at diet, because a dietician will tell you that there is an optimal way of eating for arthritis. Perhaps you need to chat with a dietician and just find out what they suggest. As for the future prognosis, I'm no doctor and so this falls a little outside my realm, but to my knowledge the age related changes do vary and often people get no worse, and in other cases they do. This is most certainly a medical problem, and one I would suggest pursuing with some energy, because I would not give up hope too early.