Posted by: Hipster | 2009/01/09


Dear DD

Arthritis runs in our family (Osteo). My mom is 66 and having a hip replacement next week. I' m 43 and have degenerative disks in my back.
Question is this - of the supplements on the market (I don' t know if you can mention the name) what is safe to take with Hypertension and Diabetes? We were told that my mom who has these conditions can' t take them - the ones with chondroiton and msm etc.
I' d like to know which ones are safe for Asthmatics to take? I have been battling to get answers and my own doctor says he does not know.

Secondly, as a rule is hoodia whether in tablet or gel form safe to use and take with any health condition?

I just downloaded your guidelines for arthritis diet we will start on that so long.

Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Hipster
Wishing you all the best for 2009. I am so sorry to hear about your dear Mother's hip replacement and the fact that you also have degenerative disks in your back. I don't think that the products on the market which state that they improve joint disease will have a negative effect on hypertension and diabetes, but I have also not read any conclusive evidence so far that chondroitin and msm will actually make a difference to the degeneration. You can ask your chemist to check who produces or distributes these products and ask the manufacturer if they affect asthmatics. I would recommend that your Mom should have a diet worked out specifically for her conditions by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). We are still waiting for the scientific tests on Hoodia to be completed. Until these Hoodia products have been given the go-ahead I can also not recommend them. Once the studies have been completed and we know if Hoodia is safe to use, we can reevaluate their use for slimming.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.