Question
Posted by: preg33 | 2004/12/22

aromatheraphy oils & herbs

I am 10 wks pregnant. I have heard that I need to be careful of aromatherapthy oils, herbs etc. Is this true and if so which ones should I steer clear off?

Also, are herbal teas & green tea safe?

The best person to check with as to which oils to avoid, is an aromatherapist.
Green tea is fine in pregnancy.

2
Posted by: Kate | 2004/12/23

I would agree that you must stay clear of oils. It is a good idea to adopt the approach that if you aren't sure of something, just stay clear.

With regards to caffiene, I also avoided caffiene completely during my first pregnancy, with this pregnancy I crave Coke and the doctor is happy with me drinking it in moderation. The baby is growing exactly as he should and all seems well. But if you can manage without the odd cup of tea of glass of Coke then it is probably better.

Remember to avoid unpasturised chesses and soft cheeses such as blue cheese and brie. That is also important.

Oh, and I asked the gynae about havign a self-tan done at the salon and he said not to do it, so don't use self-tanning lotion either.

Good luck.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Golly | 2004/12/22

My reflexologist told me that you should avoid all essential and aromatherapy oils during pregnancy as they are not proven to be safe. However, she used these massage oils on her patients before she knew she was pregnant and during her pregnancy. She has a healthy baby due end of Jan.

Taking excessive amounts of caffeine-containing drinks are not a good idea as they interfere with the cell growth stages - that has been proven. So make sure that the teas you drink does not contain caffeine. There are some very nice herbal tea blends from Freshpak and other Rooibos tea blends which should be safe.

All the best in your pregnancy!

Reply to Golly