Posted by: AC | 2005/06/29

Arnold Chiari

My husband was born with Arnold Chiari Malformation(stage1). What tests can we do to see if our unborn child will also be born with the malformation ?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

An ultrasound would be the best test.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Kate | 2005/06/29

I would suggest you see a genetist or search under genetic tests in the column to the right.

A very close friend of mine lost her baby at 18 weeks due to Arnold Chiari Syndrome. I know that it is extremely rare, however I don't know whether the risks are higher if your husband was born with it. My friend's baby was very badly malformed and sadly didn't make it. I am glad to hear of a case like your husband's that wasn't too bad. I didn't know that it happened in different stages.

Reply to Kate

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.