Question
Posted by: AC | 2005/06/29

Arnold Chiari

My husband was born with Arnold Chiari Malformation(stage1). What tests can we do to see if our unborn child will also be born with the malformation ?

An ultrasound would be the best test.

1
Posted by: Kate | 2005/06/29

I would suggest you see a genetist or search under genetic tests in the column to the right.

A very close friend of mine lost her baby at 18 weeks due to Arnold Chiari Syndrome. I know that it is extremely rare, however I don't know whether the risks are higher if your husband was born with it. My friend's baby was very badly malformed and sadly didn't make it. I am glad to hear of a case like your husband's that wasn't too bad. I didn't know that it happened in different stages.

Reply to Kate